Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Taco Seasoning

Dining on a Dime, p. 305

My favorite ethnic food?  Mexican.  Well, ok, Italian, too.  But I LOVE me some Mexican food.  So taco seasoning is a staple in my food world.  For years I've used the little packets, whether brand name or generic.  Then dear Nonie (my grandmother) gave me Dining on a Dime which contains a homemade taco seasoning recipe.  I tried it.  AND I WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!  Not only does it taste incredibly delicious -- full of flavor and void of fakeness -- but it is also free of anything a factory would add (msg, preservatives, etc.).  The recipe doesn't even call for salt, though you can add some to your taste if you'd like.  This taco seasoning produces meat that is NOT greasy-looking or that weird orange color.  You know what I'm talking about.  And the flavors develop over time, meaning the meat is even better the next day.  It's also very nice to not have to remember to put taco seasoning on my grocery list -- it's made of on-hand spices and in the long run is cheaper than ready-made taco seasoning.  Here's a great post to back me up on this.  :-)

6        tsp chili powder
4 1/2  tsp cumin
5        tsp paprika
1/4     tsp oregano
3        tsp onion powder
2 1/2  tsp garlic powder
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container.  One teaspoon of homemade taco seasoning equals 2 teaspoons store-bought.  (If my own math is correct, 2 Tbs of this home-made taco seasoning would equal a store-bought packet.  But obviously you can add more or less to your dish -- that's the beauty of using a non-packet seasoning!)

No comments: