Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Risk, from a Home Management Perspective

Sometimes you just gotta.  But hopefully you think through it first.  Even if just for a few minutes.  I'm talking about taking risks.  In my family, I am the Home Manager.  What does that mean?  Well, under my husbands leadership, I take care of our children and home which includes meals, cleaning, clothing, shopping, schooling, etc.  Which one involves the most risk for me?  Shopping.  Because it deals with making financial decisions.  Not huge decisions -- but small financial decisions add up to big impact on the family budget.  I try to be wise.  I make lists and stick by them.  But sometimes I color outside the lines, so to speak. And I get nervous all the way home, wondering if Hubz will approve or be disappointed I bought something we could do without.  Though I've found several times he "scolds" me for NOT getting something I should have!  Those are nice moments.  :-)

So today I'll tell you a little story about a risk I took.

Have any of you ever purchased an infomercial item?  I never have.  They just seem so gimmicky.  Too good to be true.  Sneaky with hidden costs or bad warranties.  Why would you buy something that seems risky without even seeing/touching it first?  That's just silly!  Right?  Am I right?

I found myself at BJ's in the bread aisle.  A well dressed man, who I thought was a BJ's manager, came up to me and handed me a slip of paper.  There was going to be a knife presentation in just 4 minutes; and if I was there when it began and stayed through, I'd get a free paring knife.  I had no kids with me.  Why would I NOT listen to someone ramble so I could get a free knife?  I love my little knives -- in fact, how does a kitchen that serves little kids run well without them, all that cutting of food into bite-sized pieces??  *ahem*  Quite a group gathered at the little blue booth.  Finally, the salesman bounded up to the podium, energetic and enthusiastic.  Same guy that handed me the slip of paper.  Aha.  So you're really trying to sell me something here by personally inviting me.  Ok, funny man.  I'll listen just to get that paring knife.  He started into his presentation, and I guarantee it was "infomercial" to a T.  It actually made me think all the way back to Logic class with Dr. Morley.  This guy was using logical arguments all over the place to draw us in to his product.  Getting us to participate with hand raising and audible answers to his questions.  And, naturally, he was doing the typical infomercial demos of slicing tomatoes, filleting the skin off, slicing bread without crushing it...sawing on a hammer and then slicing the tomato again like butter.  I politely stood there listening with no intention but to say a sweet "thank you for the paring knife" and be on my way with milk and bread.

But those knives sure looked and sounded like good quality.  What's that you say?  Lifetime warranty?  ::thinks to self::  "I bet Pampered Chef has a lifetime warranty on that knife block I want.  I wonder how long it'll take for me to be able to have another show and get that knife block at half price.  Forever, probably.  That's a lot of money, even at half price..."  ::snaps back to reality::

Then he started talking about what we could purchase from him that day.  Yep.  You guessed it.  Not one, folks, but TWO of these all-purpose knives for $39.99, yours to take home today.  But that's not all!  You'll also get the chef's knife... and the filet knife... and two pairing knives PLUS the free pairing knife... and even a food chopper and two nifty little juicers!  All for just $39.99 because "we're partnering with BJ's for just today as we gear up for the Easter/Passover season, this won't happen again until next year, folks!"

Ok, why do I feel myself faltering?!  I just want the free pairing knife.  I did not come in to BJ's today intending to spend $40 on knives.  And this is just an infomercial.  Doesn't that automatically mean "shouldn't buy" or "steer clear"?  But I do know for a fact that several of my most used knives are getting dull.  One of them, my beloved santoku a previous resident left (which meant free to me!) you can even SEE the divets in the edge of the blade.  And one of my biggest issues in the kitchen is when people have dull blades.  Dangerous and makes cooking less efficient.  (Soap box alert!)  Stop, Dawn.  You're being sucked in!!  Now wait a second, Conscience.  You've been using the same knives for almost 8 years and they have never been sharpened.  Because they can't be sharpened due to the style.  This knife set is only $40 and has a lifetime warranty -- if anything happens or they go dull, they are replaced for free.  These 6 knives will match the current knife block you have which means they will mix fine with the few knives left that are sharp.  And they cost MUCH less than the Pampered Chef knife block you've been eyeing.  Even if this is too good to be true and they are dull in a year and the warranty is not honored (which would mean it's a bad company), you've still come out ahead by not paying hundreds on a Pampered Chef knife block AND not cooking with the dull knives you now have.  But would Hubz approve of an infomercial purchase??

"...and if for any reason you don't like them, you can bring them back to BJ's for a full refund."

Say what?  ::sucked in neck deep::  That takes care of the Hubz issue.  Sharper knives.  Only $40.  Lifetime warranty.  Love the look.  And a chopper -- haven't had one of those in a long time since my Pampered Chef one broke.  It'd be nice to chop onions fast again since I cry rivers doing it with a knife.  Hmm.  Ok, I'll stay behind and wait my turn to hold them and ask questions.

People!  Out of about 30 people standing there, only TWO of us stayed behind to ask questions.  I can't tell you how many hands shot up when the guy asked who wanted to take home the set today.  They blindly took the boxes!  I couldn't believe it.  Here was an infomercial in better than 3D where we could actually try out the product and ask real-time questions -- and no one did?  Ugh.  Anyway, I held one in my hands.  Super light and easy to manipulate, smooth to the touch.  One piece, forged design.  Mmm, lookin' sleek!  I asked if they fit in a standard knife block because I don't want to have new knives and nowhere to store them (or empty spots in my knife block).  Yep, they do fit, mam.

OK.  ALRIGHT ALREADY.....I am defeated.  Give me a set.  I walked away, heart pounding and feeling ridiculous, both because I caved to this presentation and worrying about what Hubz would think.  I took a risk.  And I had no idea how it would turn out on multiple levels.  Did I really just save us money by purchasing this knife set and holding us over for at least several more years in the knife department -- or forever since that's how long the knives claim to last?

I can't tell you the ultimate result of my risk-taking.  What I can tell you is that Hubz was totally fine with the purchase, though he did make sure to playfully chide me for giving in.  And after a few weeks, I love those knives!  They are easy on my wrists and hands and are definitely super sharp.  I cut through raw potatoes like butter!  I even made Hubz come watch me, my own little infomercial to him.  :-)  He was impressed.  There are two draw backs.  1) The chef's knife does not fit in my knife block, but oh well.  The knives are worth it!  2) I've used the chopper once...and hate it.  Pampered Chef's is better quality; but I hated it, too.  I think it's me, not the choppers.  My hands/wrists/thumb joints just aren't cut out for that kind of pounding due to the way God made them.  I guess I need to cave and a get a food processor.....  ;-)

That was a long story, but hopefully you enjoyed the break from your real life.  All I want to get across is that we have to be wise as home managers.  But we also need to know how to quickly process information and make fast decisions when time won't allow us to hash out all the pros and cons, talk about all the options, and consult multiple people (or the internet).  And the best way to be quick at processing and decision making while still being wise -- PRAY for God to give you wisdom throughout your day!  He has given us this important task of managing our homes well, and He promises to provide us with wisdom to do it!  And after you pray, remember that we learn through making decisions.  If a risk we take fails, oh well.  Learn how to do better or differently next time!  If a risk we take succeeds, great!  Learn from it and improve upon it next time!

A note about the picture... one of the risks of having new, super sharp knives is getting sliced.  ;-)  I was putting a glass down on the counter where the chef's knife was laying, waiting to be washed.  I BARELY brushed against the knife, and it sliced my finger EASIER than butter!  Now that's the kind of knife to have in your kitchen, folks!

2 comments:

besnini said...

SOLD, what brand are these? Your dad has been wanting to get me some new knives :)

besnini said...

Oh, and, aren't glad I sent Snicker's the "Hello Kitty" band-aids :)